The consultation followed Parliamentary support for the inclusion of enabling legislation on standardised packaging in the Children and Families Bill. In the Lords this happened without a vote, the vote in the House of Commons was overwhelmingly in support of standardised packaging as well as proxy purchasing and an age of sale for e-cigarettes of 18 with 453 in favour and only 24 against. You can find out how your MP voted here.
ASH gave evidence to the inquiry by Sir Cyril Chantler, which you can read here.
The Chantler Review asked the Coalition to provide oral evidence and provide a brief submission. The following experts provided oral evidence on behalf of the Coalition:
- Fiona Andrews, Director, Smokefree Southwest;
- Deborah Arnott, Chief Executive, ASH;
- Simon Gillespie, Chief Executive, British Heart Foundation;
- Luk Joossens, Advocacy Officer of the Association of European Cancer Leagues;
- Sarah Woolnough, Executive Director of Policy & Information, Cancer Research UK.