On February 10th, 2013, it was six months since the UK government consultation on
standard packs finished but a decision is still to be announced. Help by emailing your
MP, calling for their support for standard packs and asking them to write to the
Secretary of State for Health and the Prime Minister to ask for legislation in the
Queen’s speech in May. You can view pledges of support to standardised pack from leading UK health organistions here.
Example of what plain packs could look like compared to current packs.
The clock ticks
Every day 570 children become smokers in the UK. That's
since the consultation on standard packs closed. Tell the Government to act.
Key points to make in your email
Help make smoking history for our children. Put cigarettes in standard packs and stop the pack being
used to promote the product.
• Smoking is a childhood addiction not an adult choice1
• More than 200,000 children start smoking each year2
• Half all lifelong smokers die from their addiction – that’s over 100,000 people
last year in the UK3
• Cigarette packs are attractive and misleading, especially to children4,5
• The public support plain, standard packaging6
• The public health community support plain standard packaging7
• There is cross party support at Westminster for standard packs8.
• Standard packs are cheap and easy to implement9
• Australia already has standard packs. Retailers have found it easy to implement10
and there is no
evidence it will increase smuggling11.